Way back in April 2014, when I first started down the low carb path, my doctor told me to avoid 5 things:
While he didn’t actually say it, I knew this list meant that I needed to avoid sugar, wheat, and other grains, as well as starchy root vegetables and super-sweet fruit. After several months of research, I decided to not only avoid these things, but to eliminate them from my life.
What I eat:
- Natural Fat
The emphasis here is to eat real food. That means we do a lot more cooking than before, and it’s good to know what all the ingredients are. We shop the perimeter of the grocery store for almost all our food. Once in a while, we do have small amounts of low carb berries, such as strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries.
The benefits of this way of eating for me are:
- After the first few days, no more craving sugar. I never thought this was possible.
- After the first few weeks, I had blood work done. It showed that I was no longer borderline diabetic. My A1C was totally normal! In fact, everything was beautifully in normal range!
- I have fibromyalgia and the pain was lessened.
- My bowel schedule has normalized and no more irritable bowel syndrome. Sorry if that’s TMI. It’s been a struggle for most of my adult life.
- I’m no longer lactose intolerant. This way of eating doesn’t include cow’s milk, but I can eat cheese again!
And I realize this wrecks my “lists of 5” theme, but it’s a wonderful benefit of this way of eating…
- I’ve lost weight. I still have a lot more weight to lose, but since starting this way of eating, I’ve basically maintained a loss of almost 50 lbs. for over a year. In my entire life of 61 years, I’ve never ever maintained any kind of weight loss for anywhere near that long. I consider this to be worth all the lifestyle changes we’ve made!
I hope this helps to explain my way of eating. It’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle and I’ve learned to embrace it. The benefits easily balance out the challenges.
Remember that home is where the heart is, and there’s no place like home!